Tuesday, March 18, 2014

St. Patricks Day Green Shepherd's Pie

Happy St. Patrick's Day!Here was James' Green Beer.
And my St. Paddys Tini!


Ok, here's a really good one. Come on, Green Mashed Potatoes?! Zara is gonna LOVE this when she gets older! 
First I peeled and cubed 3 potatoes. Put them in cool water on the stove, brought them to a boil and let simmer for 20 minutes.I drained them and while in the colander I put in 1/4 cup of butter and 1/4 cup of cream into the hot pot they came from. Let that warm up. Then set to low.
Put in about 5 drops of gel food coloring.
Put a ricer, one of my all time favorite pieces of equipment, over the pot and dropped in the cooked potatoes. Cranked them though the grates and used a spatula to scrape the bottom of the ricer.
Added salt and folded till mixed completely *add food coloring if necessary. This was a beautiful color!

For the filling I chopped up 1 cup of onion, 2 carrots peeled and cubed, and 2 cloves of garlic minced.
Sautéed the onion and carrot in medium high heat with a little olive oil.
Once softened and colored I added the garlic and stirred for a min.
I put in 1 lbs of Ground Lamb. I would have used 1 1/2 lbs if they had it in the store. So I had to settle.
Added salt and pepper, cooked till browned and fully cooked. Then sprinkled 2 tbls of flour and stirred in.
Made a space to squeeze and cook the tomato paste in. Put a teaspoon and stirred it in slowly. 
Added 2 tsp of worschestershire sauce 
Added a tsp of chopped fresh thyme. Poured in 1 cup of chicken stock. Brought to a boil and let thickened.
After about 8 minutes I added 1/2 a cup of frozen corn and 1/2 a cup of frozen peas. Mixed in till warmed through.
Layered meat mixture into bottom of casserole dish. 
Topped with shredded Parmesan.
Then dollup the Green Mashed Potatoes on too of the meat mixture and seal open any cracks. Bake for 20 minutes at 400° Don't let brown to keep green color.
Let sit for 15 minutes before breaking into it!
So yummy and filing!

No comments:

Post a Comment