Monday, March 31, 2014

Homemade Corn Dogs, Cheese Curds, and Funnel Cake!

To make this batter I've been trying and failing the last few times. I think I finally have it down! 3 cups of krusteaz buttermilk pancake mix and 1 cup of yellow corn meal.1 scrambled egg
And 2 cups of water!!
Mix but not too much, then pour in a tall cup.
I have kabob sticks that I have to cut to fit in the pot. Then I insert them 3/4 of the way in a hot dog.
Roll the hot dogs in a little flour to make the batter stick. Be sure to bring the hot dogs to room temp, also a tip to keep the batter on. Then dip into the batter.
Wiggle the stick in a circle to cover the whole hot dog and a little in the stick. That little crunchy part on the stick is my husbands favorite part! Haha.
Pull out and let drip and push the tip back in to flatten the top.
Slowly drop into the hot oil. I put mine at 350°
Then let it drain on a rack

For the cheese curds I put in a bowl 1 cup of flour and 2 eggs.
3/4 a cup of beer
1/4 a cup of milk then whisked together.
Put flour over the cheese curds so the batter would stick
Dropped them into the beer batter and with a fork I coated them, then dropped them into the oil at 350° for a couple minutes. Some of the cheese ran out so I think next time I would freeze the curds so they wouldn't melt as fast.
Delicious!


For the funnel cakes I combined 2 cups milk, 1 egg, 1 tsp of vanilla in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, I put 2 cups of  flour, salt, 1 tsp baking soda and 1 tbls of sugar and gradually added it to the wet ingredients. I beat with a mixer until it was smooth then added 4 tbls of melted butter and put that in a squeeze bottle.
Put the oil temp at 350° and poured the batter in squiggling to make a funnel cake pattern.
Then sprinkled with powder sugar while still warm!
So good!!

No comments:

Post a Comment