Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Marinated Chicken Gyro with Homemade Tzatziki and Homemade Pita Flatbread

Sitting outside in the sunEating downtown at Torchys Taco


For dinner the other night I made some Greek food. I asked on my Pregnancy group what I should make so this whole week I've been making their suggestions!

 To marinate the chicken I first put in a bowl 1/4 a cup of Olive Oil.
1/4 cup of Lemon juice
3 tbls of Greek Yogurt
1 tbls of Red Wine Vinegar 
1 1/2 tsp oregano
1 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp of coriander 
1/3 cup of choppd red onion
Stir and pour into a freezer bag with 2 pounds of chicken breast.
Marinate for 2-4 hours then grill on the grill or grill pan for 10 minutes each side
Then put in the oven at 350° for 15 minutes. Let rest then slice into strips.


For the Tzatziki I took a cucumber and scooped out the seeds, then chopped in small pieces. I put them in a strainer and sprinkled with salt. Then let them sit for 30 minutes in the sink.
In a bowl I put 1 cup of Greek Yogurt and a tbls of lemon juice.
1 tbls of olive oil
1 tsp of red wine vinegar
Whisked together with 1 tbls of chopped dill and 1 tbls of chopped parsley.
After the cucumber pieces have drained I put them on a towel and squeezed as much water out as possible then chopped them up more and dumped them in the Greek yogurt mixture and stirred together.


For the pita bread I put a package if dry active yeast in the bowl of a mixer with 2 1/2 tsp of sugar and 2/3 a cup of warm water. 
Stirred then let it sit for 5 minutes.
Then poured in 1/2 cup + 2 tbls of warm milk, 1 1/2 tbls of olive oil, and 1 1/4 tsp of salt. 
Turned it on then slowly added 1 1/2 cups of bread flour.
Once mixed in I changed out the whisk for a dough hook and slowly added another 1 1/2 cups of bread flour. Let it knead for 5 minutes. I added like 1/2 a cup more till it didn't stick to the bowl any more.
Put it in a oiled bowl and put in the oven that I heated for a few minutes then turned off. Left it in there for 1 1/2 hours till it doubled in size.
Punched it down and separated it into 6 pieces, rolled each out.
Then put in a hot non stick pan. Cooked for 4 minutes till bubbles appeared and then flipped to cook the other side.

To plate I put a pita bread on a piece of foil, spread with Tzatziki sauce, slices of chicken, red onion, Caramelized onion, tomatoes, and cucumber slices.
So yummy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment