Thursday, March 13, 2014

Baklava

To make the baklava I defrosted a box of phyllo dough. I took out both rolls but next time would only take out one because I barely used one. I put 4 cups of chopped pecans in a bag with a tsp of cinnamon and shook them together. I melted 1/4 cup of butter and got out a brush to paint the butter on. I buttered a large baking dish and made sure the phyllo dough would fit. It was a tiny bit big but that was ok, I just pressed it down to fit. It can curl up a bit on the edges. If it was too big I would have trimed it. I painted one sheet with butter and grabbed it and the sheet below it, put them buttered side down into the dish.I did this 2 more times till there were 6 sheets on the bottom.
Then added a little more than half of the pecan mixture till it made an even later. Next time I would pulse the pecans in a food processor to make cutting easier.
Then I topped with another two sheets butter side down, more pecans, another two sheets butter side down then the rest of the pecans. Then 6 more sheets. The last one I buttered the top side facing out but next time I would butter both sides to make for easier cutting. Then I cut down the center from one corner to the other. Then made more cuts all the way to the one corner and then back the other way. Then made diamond shaped by doing the same thing the opposite corner.
I put it in the oven at 350° for 45 minutes. While it was baking I took a saucepan and added 1-1/2 stick Butter, 2 cups Honey, 1/2 cup Water, 1/2 cup Sugar, and 3 teaspoons Vanilla Extract. Brought to a boil then simmered for a few minutes. Then let sit off the heat for 10 minutes.
Once I pulled the baklava out of the oven I immediately poured the honey/ butter mixture over it.
Making sure to get in any crevasse. Then let it sit uncovered for a couple hours soaking in the honey and butter.
It was soo yummy! I sent some off to work with my husband and gave some to my cousin and they all loved it!

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this in the oven right now:) Had it as a kid & haven't had it since, so I'm excited:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh I just saw this comment! That's awesome that you made it :) I hope it was as delicious as it was for me!!

    ReplyDelete