Monday, March 24, 2014

Mushroom and Spinach Stroganoff over Barley

Zara's very first bite of food!!She didn't like it so much in the begining but got the hang of it towards the end!
She is so beautiful!!

For lunch today I wanted to make something with the new grains I got. This one uses barley but you could use anything (quinoa, couscous, millet)

In a small saucepan I put 1 cup of dry barley and put it in with 2 cups of beef broth. I brought it to boil then reduced to simmer and covered with a lid. Let cook for 30 minutes. This was a pearled barley so I didn't have to rinse it but check with other grains if you need to rinse them first.
Meanwhile in a medium skillet I heated 1 tbls of butter and threw in half an onion chopped and 10 mushrooms sliced. Sautéed till softened.
Then added a cup of chopped spinach, salt and pepper.
I added a splash of white wine and let it sauté and the spinach wilted down. 
I put the barley on the plate, topped with some of the spinach/ mushroom mixture, a dollup of sour cream or Greek yogurt, and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese!
So good!!

No comments:

Post a Comment