Thursday, October 10, 2013

Southwestern Egg Rolls and Apple Slaw

Today was a busy day. I had to go drop my mother off at the airport so she could fly to Alabama for my cousin's wedding. I wanted to go so bad but my doctor said absolutely no to being farther than an hour away from the hospital :( So not only am I missing her wedding but I'm missing everything about back home that I miss, namely Little Rosie's, oh how I miss it so much! I'm sure I'll get a text soon of my mother stuffing her face with it cause she is mean like that! Haha. Anyway, I took her so I could have her car for the weekend....it's so nice to have a car when I've been without one for so long. We are going next week for sure to get our new one!! So for dinner I decided to make a frozen meal to have in November. These Southwestern Egg Rolls are like the ones from Chilis but James said way better! He liked my crispy outside better. It's just the tortilla I chose that made that happen. Mission extra soft. Yum!
Here are all the ingredients together.
For the Southwestern Chicken Egg Rolls I took 1 rotisserie chicken and shredded it. 
I diced up 4 tablespoons of red bell pepper and 2 tablespoons green onion and added them to a tbs of olive oil heated in a large pan.
Sautéed for a few mins till the peppers softened.
I added 1/2 cup canned corn.
1/2 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained.
4 tablespoons frozen spinach, thawed and drained
Diced up 2 tablespoons canned jalapeno peppers.
Then I added 3 cups of chopped chicken
1 teaspoon cumin 
1 teaspoon chili powder 
dash cayenne pepper 
1/4 tsp of salt
Ground fresh pepper
Mixed that then added 2 tbs of chopped fresh parsley
Then I shredded 3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese.
To make the rolls I took 7-inch flour tortillas and laid one at a time, filled with a couple spoonfuls of the filling in the center.
Took each side and folded over, then rolled down the center tightly and stuck a toothpick in the middle to keep it together.
I lined them up on a baking sheet and made as many as I could.
When I had no more filling I took Saran Wrap and covered the rolls tightly.
Then put them in the freezer for 4 hours before cooking.
To cook I heated up veggie oil in a deep pan to about 350°
Put in 4 at a time and deep fried for 12 mins till golden brown. 
Then put them on a paper towel to drain.
Sliced at an angle and served with the Avocado-Ranch Dipping sauce.
The rest of the eggrolls I put in a bag to put back in the freezer for a future meal when Zara is here!
Yum!

For the Avocado-Ranch Dipping Sauce I took 1/4 cup fresh avocado (about half of an avocado) put in a bowl and smashed it with a fork.
Then I added 1/4 cup mayonnaise.
1/4 cup sour cream 
1 tablespoon buttermilk 
1 1/2 teaspoons white vinegar 
1/8 teaspoon salt 
1 tbs fresh parsley 
1/8 teaspoon onion powder 
dash dried dill weed 
dash garlic powder 
dash pepper
I stirred this and covered it with plastic wrap to sit in fridge and meld.
 Yum!

For the Apple Slaw I put 3/4 cup sour cream in a large bowl.
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
Added 1/4 cup sugar.
2 tablespoons ranch seasoning and salad dressing mix.
Whisked that together 
Added half a large green cabbage shredded.
A handful of shredded carrots.
Then took 2 green apples, cored and diced them.
Then 3 green onions, thinly sliced.
Last I took a handful of red and golden raisins and chopped them up and added that to the bowl.
I took two wooden spoons and tossed this all together. Put it in the fridge to let the cabbage wilt down.
You must make this slaw, it is sooooo good. It may be my new go to!

No comments:

Post a Comment