Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Shrimp Pot Pie and Key Lime White Chocolate Cheesecake

For dinner tonight I made a deconstructed Shrimp Pot Pie. It was my father in law's birthday last Sunday so I set out to make his favorite stuff. He loves Shrimp and Key Lime Pie.

First I bought 2 pounds of deveined shrimp and peeled them into a bowl.
Then I seasoned the shrimp with Cajun seasoning, salt, and black pepper.
Then I sliced 6 mushrooms thin, 1 carrot chopped and 1 celery stalk chopped.
In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, I added 1 tbs of oil and 1 tablespoon butter.
Sautéd the shrimp, 1 minute per side.
Removed the shrimp and set aside.
Then I added another tablespoon of butter to the pan and sautéd the carrots, celery, mushrooms, and 2 sprigs of thyme, until softened about 10 minutes.
Then I added half a cup of wine, brought to a simmer and cooked until most of the wine had evaporated.
Then I added 2 cups of heavy cream and brought back to a simmer until the sauce thickened to a gravy consistency.
I put the shrimp back into the sauce to coat and seasoned with salt and pepper.
For the Puff Pastry I was going to make my own bowls but then found the pre made bowls so I cut a lot of time out of my prep by using them. I put 6 on a pan with silicone mat.
Then baked at 425° for 18 mins, took off the top, ladled the shrimp mixture into the pastry puff bowls and topped with the smaller puff circles.
Delicious!! 

For the Cheesecake I made it the day before. It was my first cheesecake so it didn't come out looking perfect but it tasted perfect!!
This is a Paula Dean Recipe for a Key Lime Cheesecake
Crust:
2 cups crushed graham crackers
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
Filling:
6 tablespoons fresh key lime juice
1 1/4 ounces (1 envelope) package unflavored gelatin
2 1/2 cups heavy cream, divided
10 (1-ounce) squares white chocolate, chopped
3 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons lime zest
1 1/2 ounces white chocolate, grated or shaved into curls, for garnish
Candied Lime Peels:
4 limes, peels removed and sliced into strips
2 cups sugar, plus more for rolling
2 cups water
Directions: 
Crust:
Mix together the cracker crumbs, sugar, and butter.
Press the mixture into the bottom and 1-inch up the sides of a 10-inch springform pan. Set aside.
Filling:
In a medium saucepan over medium heat, add the lime juice.
Whisk in the gelatin
and 1/2 cup of the heavy cream and bring to a simmer.
Remove the pan from the heat. Add 10 ounces of white chocolate and stir until smooth.
Allow to cool.
Using an electric mixer, blend together the cream cheese,
sugar
and lime zest
in a medium bowl, until smooth.
Slowly beat in the cooled white chocolate mixture into cream cheese mixture.
Using clean, dry beaters, beat the remaining 2-cups heavy cream in a small bowl,
until it forms soft peaks.
Fold it into the white chocolate mixture
and pour into the pie crust.
Cover and freeze overnight.
Remove from freezer and run a sharp knife around inside of springform pan to help loosen the pie. Release springform ring from the bottom of the pan and transfer the pie to a serving plate.
Grate or curl the white chocolate over the top
and garnish with candied lime peel.
For the candied lime peels I peeled a bunch of lime zest curls and sliced them into thin peels.
Bring a medium-sized saucepan of water to a boil over medium heat. Add the peels in and blanch them for a few minutes.
Set aside.
Put the peels in another medium saucepan and cover with equal parts of sugar and water.
Simmer, covered, over low heat for 1 hour. Remove the peels and drain until almost dry. Roll into sugar and set aside.
Then I put them over the cheesecake on a pie plate to serve.
Soooooooo yummy!!

1 comment:

  1. great instructions and thanks for the step-by-step pictures! I think I will be able to follow this. (had it at a friend's house, she sent me this link and now Im going to make for my next party!)

    ReplyDelete