Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Kielbasa Casserole and Fettuccine Alfredo Recipes

Have I mentioned how ready I am to get Zara out of me? I'm really, really ready....I'm starting to get bad cramps and she is about to kick her way out! And I can't stop eating, I'm hungry all the time! Luckily I'm a good cook :)

First off I'm gonna show my recipe for last nights dinner. My father in law was over during his birthday dinner and was telling us about how he liked sauerkraut when he was in Wisconsin so it got me thinking about wanting to make some. Me being mostly German and all (I was even born in Germany as an army brat) I love German food! I'm working on a Sauerbraten right now that takes 3-5 days to marinate, more on that later.

Anyway, what a coincidence that the night I make Kielbasa and Sauerkraut casserole my father in law shows up to return a dish I sent him home with leftovers in. So we invited him to stay for dinner.
First I got the ingredients together.
Slice up an onion in thin half moons
Add a knob of butter to a large pan at medium heat.
Sliced the polish kielbasa into thin diagonal slices.

To make the Homemade Applesauce I peeled 4 apples and got out the brown sugar and cinnamon.
Diced them up and put them into a sauce pan.
Poured in 3/4 a cup of Apple Cider.
Added a couple tbs of brown sugar, pinch of salt, and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
Covered them and boiled for 20 mins.
Then mashed it with a potato masher.
Best applesauce ever!!! So easy!? 

For the Mashed Potatoes I peeled and cubed 3 potatoes and put them in another sauce pan with water. Boiled for 20 mins then ran them through a ricer into warmed cream, butter, salt, and pepper. Then mixed till combined.

For the casserole I added the onions to the butter in the pan and caramalized them for 15 mins. Then moved them to the side and added the sliced kielbasa.
Sautéd till dark brown.
Then in a casserole dish I took a jar of sauerkraut and layered some in the bottom.
Topped with half the caramalized onions and kielbasa.
Topped that with more sauerkraut.
Then layered the rest of the onion/kielbasa mixture.
Covered and baked for an hour at 325°

To glaze the carrots and radishes I scrubbed them clean
Put them in a covered pan with an inch of water and boiled for 10 mins. Took off the lid till most of the water disappeared and added a tablespoon of brown sugar and a tbs of butter till it thickened and coated the veggies.
To plate I spooned the casserole out, the mashed potatoes, the applesauce, placed the carrots on the plate and spooned the glaze over them.
Awesome!

For dinner tonight I was stuck in a rut, sometimes I have a hard time coming up with new ideas. Especially with no help from my family. I ask James what do you want for dinner and all he ever says is you decide, unless he says chicken tacos which he could have every single night if I let him! 
So I'm miserable with Zara and I'm just so hungry that I decided to go fattening as I could. Alfredo sauce!!
First I set up a breading station. A plate with a cup of bread crumbs, half cup of Panko, and a tsp of Italian Seasoning. 
glass dish with 2 scrambled eggs,
and 1 plate with shredded Parmesan 
Heavily salt and peppered the bone in pork chops
Dipped it into the Parmesan 
Pressed to adhere then dipped in egg
Then in the bread crumbs
Then into a couple tbs of olive oil at medium heat
Flipped when browned, like 10 mins each side.

For the Alfredo sauce I melted 6 tbs of butter and added a cup of heavy cream.
Stirred and added half a lemon juiced. Then grated some nutmeg 
Some lemon zest
A large cup of shredded parmesean 
Stirred then added half a pound of fettuccine noodles that were boiled for 10 mins.
The peas were just frozen, put in a small sauce pan and heated with a tbs of water, a pat of butter, salt, and pepper.

For the salad dressing I used an old cleaned out jam jar
Squeezed the lemon into the jar
Tbs of Dijon mustard
1/4 kosher salt
4 tbs of olive oil
Pepper
Shook till combined

For dessert I made chocolate chip Rice Crispy Treats. 
1/4 cup of butter in sauce pan
Stirred in 8 ounces of marshmallow fluff
Then 5 cups of rice crispies cereal
Poured it into a buttered glass dish
Patted it down
Sprinkled the top with mini chocolate chips and tada! 
Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment