Saturday, October 12, 2013

Broccoli Salad and Food Trucks

Yesterday was a fun day, I needed it after the night I had with the worst heartburn of my life! I never knew heartburn could be this bad. I really regret not getting on a once a day pill for it. I kept thinking tums would get me through but how many can you possibly eat?! I've never gone through so many bottles let alone finished one bottle of tums before. Just crazy!
So last night my husband and I went with my cousin to the Houston Haute Wheels Food Truck Festival! I had a blast!! It was Truck or Treat night so people were dressed up in costume, they had a huge blown up big screen playing Rocky Horror Picture Show, and they played monster mash type music all night. Here is what I wore.
I love my Pumpkin!! Haha.
The food was awesome! We had a couple different tastings, some pork egg rolls with chili dipping sauce, fried macaroni and cheese balls with spicy aioli, and Bistro fries with pulled pork and garlic pesto sauce. I had a burrito that had french fries, marinated beef short rib, spicy marinated chicken, spicy twice cooked pork belly, grilled onions, cheese and el scorcho sauce. It was to die for! My cousin got a panini with caramelized onions and orange aioli that we both ended up getting another one to go so I'll be having that for lunch today :) Yay!! The best part since I'm pregnant and was so jealous of all the beer and wine tastings, especially when my husband got the new Apple Ale ( I took the tiniest taste, I LOVE apple flavor and it's so gonna be my go to after I give birth!) was the Soda Truck, you buy a mug for $12 and can come fill it back up as many times as you want with like 8 different types of homemade soda like Rootbeer, Grape, Vanilla Cream Soda, Sarsparilla and more! The Rootbeer was our favorite! I went into a food coma after getting home, but when do I not? I'm obsessed with awesome food! We are for sure going next year and hopefully I won't be pregnant so I can participate in the tastings!
Today is my nephews 4th birthday party and we are all going to my Mother in Laws house to celebrate with a cookout! I'm very excited! Love this little guy:)
I'm bringing a couple things, one I made yesterday so the flavors had time to meld. Broccoli Salad. It really is an amazing salad, I've never liked it as a child probably because it was cold broccoli but in my recent years as my taste buds have bloomed it's become one of my favorites!
To make the broccoli salad I first put 10 slices of bacon on a foil lined baking sheet, 7 for the salad, 3 for the chef :)
Ok really 1 for me and 2 for my husband. If I make bacon and don't make extra for him he gets cranky! I made a bacon and cheddar quesadilla for my lunch with that 1 piece to have with my Avacado-Ranch Dipping sauce.
Delicious!
Anyway, I put it in the cold oven and turned it to 400° for 20 mins. The best way to cook perfect bacon.
Next I cut up the florets of 10 broccoli heads and put them in a large bowl.
In another bowl I put in a cup of mayo.
Half a cup of sugar.
3 tablespoons of Red Wine Vinegar.
Salt and pepper.
Then whisked that together till combined.
To the bowl of broccoli I added almost an entire 8 ounce block of sharp cheddar cut into tiny cubes, I saved a small part for my quesadilla :)
Then I chopped up the 7 pieces of bacon.
Added those to the bowl.
Added 1/4 cup of sunflower seeds.
1/4 of a red onion sliced thin.
A handful of golden raisins.
Then poured in the dressing.
Stirred till combined.
I made this the night before so that I could add more dressing if needed the next day.
Today I am making Pizza Bites to bring along too, I'll post those later! Now I'm off to take a nap cause I've been awake since 4am and it's already 7am...night night :)

No comments:

Post a Comment