Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Freezer Meal: Baked Penne with Roasted Chicken, Mushrooms, and Italian Sun-Dried Tomatoes.

Today was a rainy crappy day. James is sick so I will probably be getting sick soon :( He kept me up all night tossing and turning and couldn't breathe through his nose. Today I am starting to feel some drainage and probably won't sleep very well tonight....ugh on top of being pregnant I really don't need this!!
I went to buy buy baby to finish some stuff for Zara. I wanted to get a baby ktan, we have a bjorn but I read that as a newborn she wouldn't fit in it well so I got the ktan to use when she is first home. I also got a newborn insert for the momma roo for the same reason. I got a cute baby book and some swaddlers that were recommended to me. I think I am pretty much done. Just putting together the hospital bag. I've got hers together with like 6 outfits, it was too hard to choose haha. 
Last Sunday was my father in law's birthday so we are having him over tomorrow for a birthday dinner. I made him a Key Lime Cheesecake today that has to sit in the freezer overnight. I will post the recipe tomorrow.
For dinner tonight I did another freezer meal, I'm trying to get as many meals in my deep freeze to hold us for at least a month but I don't know if I'll make enough. I want to try some crock pot frozen bags next week so that might help. Here were my ingredients: 
1 shredded Italian Rotisserie Chicken
1 lb of Penne
6 tbs of butter
6 cups of Half and half
1 whole jar of Italian Sun Dried Tomatoes packed in oil.
10 ounces of thin sliced Mushrooms.
1/2 a chopped onion
4 cloves of garlic chopped
1/2 cup of flour plus 2 tbs
4 ounces of shredded sharp provolone cheese
1/2 cup of Shredded mixed Parmesan, Asiago, and Romano cheeses
1/2 cup of Parmesan Shavings
Salt and Pepper

First I shredded a whole Italian flavored Rotisserie Chicken onto a plate.
Put a large pan full of salted water and brought to boil. Added the pasta and cooked it for 8 mins al dente to leave room for it to cook more while baking.
Then I chopped half an onion and sliced 10 ounces of mushrooms.
Next I put 6 tablespoons of butter in a Dutch oven over medium high heat. Added the onions.
Cooked till softened then added the mushrooms.
Stirred and cooked till the water came out a bit. Then added the chopped garlic.
Stirred again till it cooked down a bit. Then added the flour.
Took a whisk and worked the flour into the butter.
When the raw flour was cooked out after like 4 mins I added the half and half.
Whisked and brought to a simmer for about 5 mins. Then partially drained the jar of sun dried tomatoes but left some of the oil for flavor. Poured the whole jar in.
Then I shredded the Provolone cheese into the pot.
Then added the shredded Parm, asiago, and Romano 
Then dumped in the roasted chicken.
Added a tbs of salt.
And a lot of pepper!
Mixed to combine then added the Pasta.
I buttered a glass dish for tonight and a foil dish for the freezer. Added some to each.
And topped each with the Parmesan shavings. I put tonight's dish in the oven at 400° for 25 mins uncovered till it was brown and bubbly.
The other one I let come to room temp and then covered with foil and put in the deep freeze. To cook it I will put it straight from frozen into a 400° oven for an hour and a half covered then 15 mins uncovered. It will be so easy! And my family loved it! Try this recipe for sure! You can mix it up however you would like. Add veggies or switch cheeses. It will be delicious as long as you season correctly with salt and pepper.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment