Thursday, October 3, 2013

Flu Shots and Apple Cider Caramels

Today I got up early to go to my 2 week check up on Zara. Everything went great except she finally guilted me into getting the flu shot. My mom came with me cause they offered to give her one too. She was so mad at me cause I was like if I have to so do you! I got all freaked out for nothing! She did it and I was like that was it?! My mother on the other hand was a big ol baby! As we were walking out she was like that really hurt! She thinks the nurse stabbed her extra hard cause she doesn't like her haha! I'm just glad to have it over with. But it is starting to hurt now :( I swear if I get sick from it I'm going to my doctor's house for her to nurse me back to health cause I can not take getting sick right now! Being pregnant is bad enough! Well in 2 weeks I will start going every week for my check ups, I am in the home run! I am 34 weeks today :) And soooooo ready for her to get out! I hope I last the rest of the month!

I'm not sure if I will be cooking dinner tonight cause James got a ticket a few weeks ago and we are having to go to the courthouse after he gets off work to request the driving class. He wants me to go with him but I'm like I didn't do anything wrong! Why should I suffer?! Haha. I'll repost if I do make dinner, depends on if we see a place that looks good when we go out there.
I do have a post today tho, so I still had all of that apple cider leftover from my simple syrup. I saw these and decided hell yes I'm making caramels!!! They are amazing. Apple Cider Caramels. Taste like apple pie, yummy! Here are the ingredients:
2 cups apple cider
1 cup heavy cream or whipping cream, divided
1 tsp ground cinnamon
Pinch nutmeg
1/4 tsp allspice
1 1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup real butter, cubed
First I poured 2 cups of cider into a medium saucepan and boiled on high for about 20 minutes until it was reduced to 1/3 c.
Then set that aside to cool.

I lined an 8" square pan with parchment paper, leaving about 1" hanging over the edges for easy removal and coated it with a bit of vegetable oil spray.

In a small bowl, I combined 2/3 cup cream.

1 tsp cinnamon.
1/4 tsp allspice.
Then grated a little but of fresh nutmeg.
Once the reduced apple cider was cooled enough I added that and whisked to combine.
In a large, heavy saucepan, I combined the sugar and the corn syrup. I put 1/3 cup whipping cream into a cup measuring dish and added enough water to reach the 1/2 cup line and added that to the sugar and corn syrup.

 I cooked it over low heat until the sugar dissolved. I used a candy thermometer and simmered it until the syrup reached 234 degrees F.

Then I removed it from heat and slowly whisk in the cream mixture. 
Cubed the butter.
Then added the cubed butter and stirred until the cream and butter were fully incorporated.

Then I returned the pan to the heat and re-inserted the candy thermometer. Cooking over low heat, stirring frequently, until the temperature reaches 248 degrees F.

Removed from heat and poured the caramel into the prepared pan.
I let the mixture cool completely in the refrigerator. Once they were cooled I took them out and cut them into cubes with a knife I heated under hot water and sprayed with a little veggie oil.

I'm going to wrap them in pieces of parchment paper to keep them from sticking and they will last for about 2 weeks!
These things are so freaking good! Tastes just like caramel apple cinnamon pie!

No comments:

Post a Comment