Monday, October 21, 2013

Busy Days

Well we had a busy few days and I have a couple recipes to share so let me see if I can get all of this down.
This Saturday for breakfast I wanted to make Sausage Gravy for Buttermilk biscuits. Well James hates sausage so I thought maybe if I mix bacon in there he wouldn't mind the sausage. Worked like a charm :)
First I chopped up 2 slices of bacon.
Fried that up in a pan and put the crisp bacon on a plate.
Then I put in half a pound of breakfast sausage in the bacon fat.
Browned it till it was crispy.
Took out the sausage and put in a over loaded tablespoon of flour in the fat and whisked it in.
When it was fully incorporated I poured in a cup of heavy cream.
Once that thickened I added back the sausage and bacon.
To thin it out just add milk if needed. Then a tablespoon of butter, a pinch of salt, and lots of black pepper.

For the Buttermilk Biscuits I used the best flour there is, White Lily Flour
If you can find this flour buy it, it's awesome! I flew to Alabama just to get some and brought it back on the plane.
Anyway I took 2 cups and put it in a bowl.
1/4 teaspoon of baking soda
1 tbs of baking powder
1 tsp of kosher salt
Cut 6 tbs of cubed ice cold butter
Then poured in a cup of very cold buttermilk
Mixed that in gently and poured it onto a floured counter top
Then patted it down into a square and cut circles out of it
Messy messy lol.
Then I put them on a sheet pan with a silicone mat. To keep the edges soft I made them touch each other.
Then brushed with a little cream on top. Baked at 425° for 12 mins till browned
Baked up some apple brined bacon on a sheet pan
Then made some scrambled eggs and fried up hashbrowns in a large pan with veggie oil and butter. To plate I cut open a biscuit and poured over the gravy, spooned eggs, hashbrowns, and 2 slices of bacon. Sooooo yummy!

For Lunch that day we were watching the Alabama game so we needed football snacks. I made Buffalo Sloppy Joes, yum!!
First I diced up half an onion, 3 baby carrots, 2 celery stalks, and a clove of garlic.
Browned 2 pounds of ground chicken in a large pan.
Added the veggies when that was browned and cooked.
In a bowl I put 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce,1/4 cup hot wing sauce, 1 cup V8 juice, and 1 cup chicken stock
  • Then added that to the meat mixture and cooked till thickened.
    I made a ranch dip following the back of the ranch packet. Toasted a sandwhich bun and spread the ranch dip of the top bun. Piled the buffalo sloppy mix on the bottom bun and added a few slices of pickles.
    For the slaw I sliced up half a head of cabbage, sliced a bunch of radishes and carrots on a mandoline, added 2 tbs of Dijon, a 1/4 cup of pecan vinegar
    1/4 cup of sugar, salt, pepper, golden raisins and pecan halves.
    Stirred that till it mixed.

    For dessert tonight I made Key Lime Bars that I had to make yesterday to let sit overnight.
    First I took a cup + 2 tbs of ground Graham crackers.
    Added 1/4 cup of sugar
    4 tbs of butter melted
    Stirred then poured into an 8inch square baking dish
    Patted it down and baked at 350° for 10 mins
    Put 3 egg yolks in a mixing bowl and grated lime zest
    Whisked it for 3 mins till thickened
    With my new Breville hand mixer :) it has a timer on it and is awesome!!
    Then I slowly streamed in a can of sweetened condensed milk for 5 mins.
    Then I poured in 2/3 cup of fresh squeezed key lime juice. Which let me tell you, takes forever!!
    When combined I poured it over the baked graham cracker crust.
    Smoothed it out
    Then baked at 350° for 10 mins till it set.
    Covered and put it in the fridge for at least 4 hours, I did over night. Then I cut them into 2 inch squares. Whipped up some sweetened whipped cream with heavy cream and powdered sugar. Topped each square and put a half slice of key lime.
    I'm starting to get blurry eyed so I'm going to do some of my other recipes tomorrow. Time to watch our DVR with The Walking Dead :)

No comments:

Post a Comment