Monday, February 3, 2014

Super Bowl Snacks!

What a great weekend! I'm sad that it's over. James had it off so we spent all day Saturday just chillin with Zara watching Finding Nemo and getting her to nap in her crib. Sunday was Super Bowl Sunday so I had a big day of prepping and cooking planned! James had a football square he was betting on and I had a bet going with him against the Broncos. Woohoo Seahawks! I won $100!!! Oh yeah :) 
If I had a Seahawks onsie Zara would have been in it but because my mother is from Colorado and a huge Bronco fan I was forced to put her in a Bronco onsie. 
This was her passed out during the game. I never got a good picture of her cause I just didn't care to haha! Boo Broncos!

Now let me get to the food. I am pooped out from all the cooking I did. But it wasn't too bad because I prepped a lot in advanced. For the first quarter I made an amazing queso based off one that we get at James' favorite Mexican restaurant right now Jimmy Changas. It's called Queso Compuesto Dip. So yummy!

First I started with 1/2 a cup of beer in a medium sauce pan and added 2 spoon fulls of salsa.
A spoonful if chopped green chiles.
Then I sprinkled in a tablespoon of flour.
I shredded an 8oz block of white sharp cheddar and an 8oz of pepper jack. Then sprinkled in the hot beer mixture.
Whisked till all the cheese had melted then put in a large dish. I browned in a large skillet 1 pound of ground beef with 1/2 tsp of paprika.
1/2 tsp of onion salt.
1 tsp of cumin.
1/8 tsp of cayenne pepper.
And 1 tsp of garlic powder. Then browned till deeply colored. And then I microwaved a can of Refried beans and added some mixed taco seasoning and a little bit of water to thin it out a bit. Then layered the meat, beans, and scoop of sour cream, cilantro, and avocado on top of the queso. Then mixed in together to serve with tortilla chips.
Yum! It was hard not to pig out on this cause we had 3 more quarters to go!

For the second quarter I made some Asian Sticky Wings. I mixed the sauce earlier in the day and let the wings marinate in it till ready to bake. These were semi healthy cause they were baked instead of fried. I was serving enough fried stuff! 

First I put in a bowl 1/4 a cup of honey.
3 tbls of Soy Sauce.
2 tbls of chili sauce.
2 tbls of oyster sauce.
1 tsp of sesame oil.
2 tbls of hoisin sauce.
Then grated in 1/2 an inch of fresh ginger and chopped up 2 cloves of garlic.
Whisked then poured over 3 pounds of chicken wings and drumettes. I baked at 425° for 30 minutes and then broiled for 8 minutes flipping every few minutes the whole time. Broiled till browned, charred, and the sauce was thick and sticky. Then put in a dish and sprinkled with sesame seeds and chopped green onion.
Mmmmmmmmmm good!

For the 3rd quarter I made the most amazing Chicken and Waffle sliders. They were very impressive! 

First I made a brine. In a sauce pan I put in 2 cups of water. 1 cup of salt and 1 cup of sugar.
A pinch of red pepper flakes.
A tbls of black peppercorns.
A few springs of thyme.
2 cloves of garlic smashed.
1 bay leaf. Then brought to a boil until the sugar was dissolved. Then poured into a bag of ice to cool.
I took a package of chicken tenders and cut them in half and pounded them once each, not too thin but flatter.
Then popped them into the bag with the brine and put in the fridge for an hour.

I also made the broccoli slaw in advanced. I put 1/4 a cup of mayo in a bowl.
1/4 a cup of sour cream.
1 tsp of Dijon mustard.
1 tsp of apple cider vinegar.
2 tsp of sugar.
Whisked then added a bag of broccoli slaw.
Mixed then let sit in the fridge fora few hours.

For the Honey mayo Sriracha sauce I put in a cup of honey in a bowl.
1/4 acup of mayo.
1 tbls of Sriracha.
Mixed then set aside.

For the batter I took 2 cups of flour and added a tbls of garlic powder.
1 tbls of onion salt.
1 and 1/2 tsp of Italian seasoning.
2 tsp of paprika.
Then mixed together. For the wet batter I took 2 eggs and beat them with 1 cup of buttermilk.
Then mixed in a tbls of wing buffalo sauce.
Got out all the ingredients and put oil in a large pot and brought to 350°
I took out a piece of chicken from the brine. Put it in the flour mixture.
Then dipped in the egg/buttermilk mixture and back in the flour to make a thick crunchy coating.
Then popped 4 at a time into the hot oil and fried till browned and crispy.
Then plated with some frozen mini waffles or you could make them from scratch, I just didn't have time. Take 2 mini waffles and drizzle with the honey mayo Sriracha mixture. Topped with a piece of fried chicken. Then some broccoli slaw.
Soooooo freaking tasty!


For the 4th quarter I made some Crispy Fried Shrimp with a mango habanero sauce and a buffalo sauce with homemade ranch. 
First I mixed 3/4 a cup of flour and 1/2 a cup of corn starch and a pinch of salt.
Then I mixed 2 eggs in a shallow dish. Heated the oil to 350° and put the shrimp in the flour mixture.
Into the eggs.
Then back into the flour to make it extra crispy. Then I put them in the oil for 4 minutes till lightly golden. Put them on a rack to dry. Then put in a bowl with a bottled mango habanero sauce and tossed. Then put the other half in a bowl with some bottled buffalo wing sauce and tossed then plated. And I made a homemade ranch but I didn't take a picture of that.
Delicious and spicy!

No comments:

Post a Comment