Monday, February 17, 2014

General Tso's Chicken

Being a cutie!
Going shopping!
Wearing blue in honor of a friend whose baby passed away. He was 3 months old just like my Zara and it really hit hard for me and our Facebook November Love group. It was a sad week.


Last Wednesday I made some General Tso's Chicken. It was soooooo freakin good! 
First I took a pound of chicken thighs and trimmed them of the fat and cubed into bite sized pieces. Put them in a bowl and poured a tablespoon of Sherry wine.
In a bowl I made the sauce. 3 tbls of rice wine vinegar.
3 tbls of soy sauce
1tsp of hoisin sauce.
1/4 a cup of water.
2 1/2 tbls of sugar.
1 large tbls of cornstarch.
Then I put 1/3 a cup of cornstarch over the chicken pieces and mixed well.
Put vegetable oil in a small shallow pot over medium high heat and fried all of the chicken pieces in batches till browned and crispy.
For the fried rice I started with half a small onion chopped in a medium wok over high heat.
Once softened I added 3 cloves of garlic chopped and 1 inch of ginger grated.
After those softened I put in a large carrot sliced in half moons.
I let the carrots cook down till they were soft and moved them to the side to put in 3 eggs that were scrambled first.
When the eggs were cooked but still wet I added 3 cups of cold rice that I had cooked earlier in the day and put in the fridge uncovered to dry out.
Mixed and let "fry" for a good few minutes without mixing. Then added 1 1/2 tbls of soy sauce and 1 tbls of oyster sauce. Mixed then served.
For the general Tso's sauce I put in 2 cloves of garlic chopped, half an inch of ginger grated, and 5 dried chili peppers. Stirred till fragrant.
Poured in the sauce.
Let bubble and thicken.
When thick and glossy I put the fried chicken bites in and stirred them to coat with the sauce.
Plated and topped with sliced green onions.

2 comments:

  1. Is there something I could use instead of sherry wine in the sauce?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah you could use chinese rice wine which would be more authentic. Or white wine if you can't find that!

      Delete