Thursday, February 6, 2014

Chicken Pot Pie from scratch. And Mexican Beef Scalloped PotatoCasserole.

We went shopping this week. I finally bought my first pair of jeans since I became pregnant. I'm finally out of maternity wear! Yay!! This was us about to go out shopping and then she spit up all over herself so she had to have a wardrobe change. She is such a pretty girl, even screaming her lungs out!!! Haha.
Yawnin!
Playin!
Bein the love of my life!
She got a new Playmat that she adores!
And she is finally in her crib. It was hard for me but I know it's the best for her. So far she has been doing great!

For dinner on Tuesday I decided to go comfort food and make a Chicken Pot Pie from scratch. Oh man it was pretty freakin good! My dough didn't look it's prettiest cause I used White Lily Flour and it made the dough super soft which was harder to work with. Regular all purpose flour would have made it look better but this tasted amazing!

First I made the dough because it needed to sit in the fridge for 30 minutes before rolling out. I put 3 cups and 2 tablespoons of white lily flour in a food processor and 1 and 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
1 teaspoon of baking powder.
1/2 a cup of vegetable shortening.
1 stick of butter cubed.
Mixed together til sandy then poured in 1/2 a cup of ice water slowly.
Poured the bowl onto a floured cutting board.
Then kneaded until formed into a ball. Then I wrapped it with Saran Wrap and put in the fridge for 30 minutes.
Next I chopped my mise en place. 1 cup of carrots. 1 cup of celery, leafy tops included. 1 small onion chopped. And 1 package of mushrooms chopped.
Then added 2 tablespoons of butter in a large Dutch oven.
Then threw in the veg and sautéed till softened.
I sprinkled in 1/4 a cup of flour.
Once that was stirred in and the flour was cooked out I added 3 cups of chicken stock.
Mixed till thickened and added 1 tsp of turmeric.
1 tsp of dried thyme.
2 tsp of salt.
Then added 1/4 a cup of cream.
A cup of frozen peas.
Then poured in a baking dish.
I took the dough out and cut it in half and put the other half in the freezer. Then rolled it out in a long rectangle to cover the dish. I did not roll it out long enough so I had to piece it together.
Cut 3 vent slices into it.
Then whisked an egg in a bowl and brushed it over the top.
Excuse the black dots in these pictures, I had to use my husbands phone cause mine died and he has a chip in his camera. 
I baked the pot pie at 375° for 25 minutes till golden brown.


I had some taco beef and Refried beans leftover from the weekend so I made a Mexican scalloped Potato casserole on Wednesday night. It was great!!
First I spread the Refried beans into a medium baking dish.
Spread thin.
I took 3 russet potatoes, peeled and sliced thin with a mandolin. 
I layered the potato slices into 2 layers.
For the sauce I mixed a can of cream of chicken soup in a bowl.
Sprinkled in half a cup of grated Parmesan.
A spoonful of diced green chilies. 
1/2 a cup of Mexican sour crema.
1/4 a cup of whipping cream.
1/2 a cup of salsa.
1 tsp of seasoned salt, 1 tsp of garlic powder, and cracked black pepper.
Mixed them and spread over the potatoes.
Topped with grated sharp cheddar.
I sautéed a chopped onion in a skillet.
Added a garlic clove minced. Then put in the ground taco beef.
Spread the meat mixture over the cheese.
Baked covered for 1 hour to cook the potatoes and then uncovered for 30 minutes. Shredded some more cheese on top and baked for 5 more minutes.
Sprinkled cilantro and a dollop of sour cream on top.
Mmmm-mmmm good!

No comments:

Post a Comment