Thursday, January 16, 2014

Sesame Chicken Quinoa and Roasted Turkey

Zara is seriously the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. My heart melts when she smiles. Today she has been grabbing her toys and bringing them to her mouth! Such a big girl :) 
My mom and I went out to breakfast and Zara was just smiling it up in her car seat. Then when we got home she played in her play mat and we made videos for daddy!
Right now she is passed out in my arms from all the fun!! 

For lunch I wanted to try out some quinoa. I've made it before but it didn't turn out very good and no one will eat it in my family. But I have changed minds now!! This was delicious! I'm going to start working it in to more of my meals when I can. I put the leftovers in a container for James to take to work tomorrow so hopefully he will like it. I can't see how he couldn't! 

I made a Sesame Chicken Quinoa. It's a lighter sesame chicken cause there is no frying and sweetened with honey instead if tons of sugar.

First I cooked the quinoa by putting a cup of dry quinoa into a strainer and rinsed it clean.
Put it in a small saucepan with 2 cups of chicken broth.
Brought to a boil, covered and put it on low then cooked for 15 minutes. Fluffed with a fork.

 I took 3 thin cut chicken breasts and cubed then into inch pieces. Salt and peppered them.
Put a tbls of oil in a pan over medium heat and put in the chicken. Cooked for 3-4 mins each side.

Meanwhile I made the sauce.
3 tbls of low sodium soy sauce.
2 tbls rice wine vinegar.
2 tbls of honey.
1 clove of garlic minced.
1/2 tsp of ground ginger.
1 tsp of corn starch.
Whisked then poured into the chicken when it's done.
Stirred while it thickened and added 2 tsp of sesame oil.
Let it coat the chicken and then served over the quinoa and sprinkled with sesame seeds.


For dinner I roasted a Turkey breast with potatoes and julienned vegetables.
First I made a butter with a tbls of Italian seasoning.
A tbls of garlic seasoning 
Put in 2 tbls of butter. Salt and pepper.
Used a fork to mix it in. Then put it under the turkey skin. Along with 3 thin slices of Meyer lemon.


Roasted at 350° for 30 mins then threw in the small potatoes, topped with another 2 tbls of butter and roasted at 400° for 30 mins.

For the veggies I sliced a large carrot, Zucchini, and yellow squash on the mandolin into thin strips.

Then with a knife I thinly sliced them into ribbons.

Heated up a large skillet with a tbls of olive oil and 2 garlic cloves sliced. 
When they turned golden I threw in the ribbons and sautéd for 5 mins till still crisp.

Took out the turkey and let rest.
Salt and peppered the veggies.
Spooned out the potatoes with the sauce in the pan.
Delicious!




No comments:

Post a Comment