Friday, January 24, 2014

Pork Milanese, Cauliflower "Steaks" with Pancetta and Portobello Mushrooms, and Broccolini with shaved Pecorino Romano Cheese. And Lemon Mascarpone Stuffed French Toast with Basil Maple Syrup Peaches.

Today it's freezing outside!! The roads are iced over so we are stuck in the house. So I took the time to clean the house and take cute pictures of my baby girl!
I just can't stand how cute she is! She is starting to coo and talk to me and it makes my heart melt! 
We are about to start putting her in her crib to sleep :( I'm not sure if I'm ready cause I just love having her so close to me. So I'm trying to be strong. I put her in her crib for her first nap today.
It barely lasted 5 mins because she woke up freaking out about where she was. I hope it gets easier. We swaddle her at night and she is really starting to hate it. Spends all night fighting sleep trying to get her arms out of the swaddle. Daddy swaddled her last night cause he does it so much tighter than I do. I'm normally the one who does it but she keeps getting out so I have to do it over and over. 
This is her trying to be cute and keep her arms out of the swaddle!
She is such a smiley girl :)

For dinner last night I made an awesome side dish. I got it from Anne Burell's cookbook. It's a cauliflower "steak" so yummy!

First I took a large cauliflower and cut it into inch thick slices, this cauliflower wasn't very cooperative so I only got 2 "steaks" out if it. I cut the rest of the florets small and put them on a baking sheet covered in foil and drizzled with olive oil and salt. I put it in the oven at 375° for 20 minutes then flipped the steak and all the florets and back in the oven for 15 more minutes.
For the topping I diced up 1/2 a pound of portabello mushrooms and 1/2 a pound of pancetta into 1/4 inch cubes. And crushed 2 cloves of garlic.
Sautéed the pancetta in olive oil.
Once it was browned and crispy I added the garlic cloves for 2 minutes till they browned. Then took then out and threw them away.
Next I added the mushrooms and 4 sprigs of my homegrown thyme.
Let it sauté a bit and then added some salt and a pinch of red pepper flake.
After the mushrooms are deeply browned I added half a cup of white wine and scraped up the brown bits.
Once the wine evaporated I kept it warm till the cauliflower was ready.

For the Pork Milanese, I put 2 eggs in a dish with 1/3 cup of milk. And in another dish I put 1 cup of Panko bread crumbs, 1/2 a cup of shredded Parmesan, salt, and pepper.
Put salt and pepper on the boneless pork chops.
Dipped them in the egg mixture then the bread crumb mixture and into a pan with olive oil at medium high heat.
Cooked until browned and crispy about 6 minutes then flipped and cooked the other side for 3 more minutes.

For the Broccolini I boiled them till they were bright green. Then shaved Pecorino Romano over them on the plate.
It was super yummy!

This morning because of the ice I decided to make a delicious breakfast to warm us up! I had leftover mascarpone and lemons so I made a stuffed French Toast with them! I had no fruit but a can of peaches so I drained them and put them in 1/2 a cup of maple syrup with some chopped up Basil and it was delicious!

 I mixed 4 eggs in with half a cup of milk, a tsp of vanilla and a dash of cinnamon.
In another bowl I put 3/4 a cup of mascarpone 1/4 a cup of powder sugar, and the zest of 1 lemon. 
Mixed together and put in a small baggy and cut the tip.
Squeezed onto 2 pieces of white toast and topped with the other.
Then put into the egg mixture. 
Flipped then fried in 2 pats of butter in a large skillet.
Plated the French toast and topped with the peaches and 2 pieces of bacon.
Mmmmmmm!



No comments:

Post a Comment