Monday, January 13, 2014

Mexican Chicken Lasagna

Today was a good day. We are finally all not sick. It's so nice to not have to worry about getting Zara sick. 
How could you stand this little cutie to be sick?

Dinner tonight was not healthy, I know....I'm on a health kick but I can't help making awesome stuff when the idea hits me. This was one I knew my husband would love! Mexican Chicken Lasagna!

First I made the rice. I cooked 4 cups of rice earlier in the day and put it in the fridge. To make it a Mexican rice I poured in a homemade roasted tomato and garlic sauce I had from and earlier in the week meal but you could put in a cup of your favorite salsa.
In a sauce pan I put in one can of Refried beans and turned it on to medium heat. Sprinkled in a tablespoon of taco seasoning and stirred till combined and runny. Added a pinch of salt and some grinds of pepper.
I shredded half a block of Monterey Jack cheese and half a block of Sharp White cheddar, you can use whatever mix of cheeses you want.
Next I shredded a Garlic Herb Rotisserie chicken from the grocery store.
Then I took a cake pan, a lasagna pan would have been better but I don't have one of those yet, and poured a can of green Mexican salsa. You could put any can of sauce here, salsa, enchilada sauce, salsa verde, anything.
Shook the pan to even it out.
Then I took a 20 count tortillas, cut them in half and layered to make as thin a layer as possible but over lap to keep it together.
Covered completely.
Now that I think about it, toasting these might have been even better but this worked out nice. Then I poured over about 3 cups of the rice and spread it evenly.
Then topped with half of the chicken.
Topped with more tortillas.
Poured over about a cup of salsa.
Then topped with half the cheese.
Dollop the Refried beans and then spread evenly.
Then layered the rest of the chicken.
Sprinkle a can of drained corn.
Topped with another layer of tortillas. And pressed it down to make room.
Then poured a can of medium heat enchilada sauce.
I sprinkled the rest of the cheese and then grated some yellow sharp cheddar I had, about half a cup.
I put this in the oven at 375° for 30 minutes. Let cool for at least 10 minutes to set so the pieces will come out together and not run all over the plate.
But honestly it would still taste awesome!
This recipe is very easy to personalize. You could add whatever you like with Mexican food. Black beans would be awesome! Now I'm off to walk this off! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment