Sunday, November 3, 2013

Football Food

Well it's becoming more real. I have 4 more days till my scheduled C-Section. I am freaking out!! Don't get me wrong, I'm so ready for her to be out and not be pregnant anymore! But the surgery scares me and I'm just worried if I have what it takes to be a good mom. I've never even held a baby so I have no idea what I'm doing. Stress is getting to me and I cried some today. I wish I could fast forward this week and be on our way home with her. Hospitals are the worst!! I'm supposed to be taking it easy but I just had the itch to cook. It relieves my stress! And I only have 3 days left of cooking cause we are taking my grandmother to dinner for her birthday on Tuesday at our favorite place Perry's. So I decided to make some football food for dinner.
First I made the Honey BBQ Sauce for the chicken.
I put in a medium sauce pan 2 cups water
3/4 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup tomato paste
1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
3 Tablespoon molasses
3 Tablespoon packed brown sugar
1/2 cup honey
1 teaspoon liquid smoke
1/4 teaspoon onion salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon paprika
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
And brought to a boil, then simmered for an hour and a half till it was thickened.

For the chicken I put in one bowl a cup of milk
One egg
Whisked that together and in another bowl added a cup of flour
A pinch of cayenne 
Pinch of paprika
And a pinch of garlic powder
Stirred together and took 3 chicken breasts and cut them into 2 bite sized chunks.
Put them in the bowl with the egg and milk mixture
To start the chicken I added the chicken pieces to the flour in small groups 
Put the pieces back in the wet mixture to make a double coating and back into the dry. Then put each piece on a cooling rack on a sheet pan.
When I finished all of the chicken I put them in the fridge to dry out the coating so it would stick the best.

For the corn I took off the husks and put a pat of butter and some salt before wrapping them in foil and baked with the potatoes for an hour.

For the Potatoes I took 5 medium sized russet potatoes. Scrubbed them clean and put them on a foil covered baking sheet. Then sprayed with oil.
Baked them at 400° for 40 mins then let them cool and sliced in half lengthwise. Then used an ice cream scoop and got as close to the skin as possible.
Put the insides into a bowl to use for potato pancakes or something later.
I melted 1/4 cup of butter
Brushed it on the insides of the potato skins
Sprinkled with salt
Then flipped over and brushed that side with the butter and salted them
Baked for 10 more mins. Flipped and baked for 5 mins. Took them out and grated some sharp cheddar into them. Cooked some bacon 
Chopped that up and put it on top of the cheese, baked till the cheese melted and put a dollup of sour cream and chopped green onions on top

To finish the chicken I fried them at 350° for about 4 mins each batch of about 5 pieces.
Pulled them out into a bowl with a paper towel to drain
When finished with all the pieces I took out the paper towel, and poured some of the honey BBQ sauce and tossed to coat.
Then put them on the plate and served with the corn, the potato skins, and a dish of homemade ranch.
Soooooo yummy! Now to watch the Texans play with my husband :)

No comments:

Post a Comment