Monday, November 18, 2013

Rigatoni with Chicken and Mushrooms. Steak Au Poivre

Today was a bad day for me, I ran out of my pain pills and even though I've only been taking like 2 a day I didn't realize how much they help. I have had an amazing recovery until today. I called at 8am for a refill and my doctor was out of the office so I never got a call back :( The receptionist finally called me back at 5 and changed my appointment to tomorrow so I can ask her assistant for a refill. I hope I can get through tonight. This pretty girl makes it all worth it though.

I didn't post last nights dinner cause I was exhausted and went to bed early so I'm about to show you now. It was delicious and pretty easy. I made a Rigatoni with Chicken and Mushrooms.

First I sliced a pound of button mushrooms.
2 shallots and 4 cloves of garlic chopped.
Then a few sprigs of thyme and 5 leaves of sage chopped up.
Heated 2 tbs of butter and 2 tbs of olive oil in a large skillet to medium high heat.
Then put in the mushrooms.
Cooked till dark golden brown, and added the shallot, garlic and herbs.
Sautéed that then added Salt.
Pepper.
2 tbs of tomato paste.
Stirred till the paste cooked out the rawness.
Then added 1/3 cup of Marsala.
Cooked the alcohol out.
Then 2 cups of Tomato Purée 
1 cup of chicken stock 
Half a cup of heavy whipping cream
Shredded chicken from 1 rotisserie chicken
I boiled 1 pound of Rigatoni pasta and then put that in a large mixing bowl.
Then poured over the sauce
Mixed it together and served in a bowl topped with grated Parmesan and Thyme.

For dinner tonight I made Steak Au Poivre and hot damn it was yummy!!

First I took some peppercorns and crushed them in a motar and pestle.
 Then heavily salted and put the pepper on 4 sirloin steaks.
 Chopped up 2 shallots and 3 cloves of garlic.
Put 2 tbs of butter and some olive oil in a skillet and put in the steaks 3 at a time to not over crowd the skillet.
Cooked for 5 mins on each side and removed to a plate to let rest and the juices redistribute. 
Then chop off the woodsy ends of the asparagus and put in a sauce pan of boiling salted water.
In the skillet I added the shallots and garlic and sautéed till softened. About 2 mins.
Then added some bourbon yummmm!
About 1/4 a cup
Stirred till cooked out scraping all the brown bits up. Then added a spoonful of Dijon mustard.
Whisked that.
Added half a cup of heavy whipping cream.
Whisked till combined.
No need for salt cause the steaks were heavily salted. I sliced the steaks against the grain, spread out on the plate, and spooned over the sauce.
I baked the sweet potatoes scrubbed clean and wrapped in foil at 400° for an hour. Cut into them and added some butter and brown sugar. Healthy and delicious!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment