Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Braised Short Ribs

Yesterday we spent all day downtown looking for baby stuff and buying my friend a gift for her baby shower. Well of course that means we get to go to the fancy restaurants that I rarely get to go to because of traffic and it being such a pain to navigate and find parking. Oh you live in Houston? No I live in the bumfuck outside area that has only chain restaurants, horrible grocery stores, and crappy shopping....blah! Anyway, being downtown we went to a nice restaurant called Masaraffs for lunch, I was way underdressed but I'm pregnant so I dare them to say something haha. I had foie gras for my appetizer and it was seriously the best one I've ever had, even in Vegas! 
My mother had a crab salad that was equally as delicious. 
I then had a fish dish that was the chefs specialty Grouper with Shrimp infused potatoes and an avocado cream sauce. 
The best part of my meal was the desert, it was a butter Pear Roasted Creme Brûlée that was so awesome because it was served in the Pear, meaning it was the perfect amount. Normally they are way too big and I was so full after eating the appetizer and most of my meal, hey I'm eating for 2 here right? 

Being downtown I was able to go to my all time favorite grocery store, Whole Foods. It's so not fair that we do not have one close to where I live. It makes me very sad but every time we go downtown I have to stop in! They have such a great meat counter so I decided to get a few things for the week including short ribs, Black Forest bacon, and a piece of pork belly to delight my husband with :) 
Tonight I decided to braise the short ribs. I salt and peppered them, dredged them in flour, then browned them in a dutch oven after I cooked 2 slices of bacon cut into lardons and removed them leaving their delicious golden fat. I added a tiny bit of olive oil to keep them from burning. 
After that, I removed them to a plate and finished the other three ribs, Chopped up 4 carrots and 1 whole onion.
Added those to the drippings, sautéed for 3 mins then added 2 cups of red wine and scraped the wonderful brown bits from the bottom. I brought it to a boil and then added 2 cups of beef stock. Salt, pepper, garlic and herb seasoning, and Meyer lemon seasoning. I put the ribs back into the liquid, covered the top and put it in the oven at 350° for 2 hours, then 325° for 30 mins. I put in a handful of fingerlings potatoes on a foil lined pan with lemon olive oil, garlic herb seasoning, and fresh lemon juice for the last 30 mins. In my convention oven I put in a handful of sliced cherry tomatoes in with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper, and garlic seasoning. Baked at 400° for 20 mins till they popped and browned. Then dressed an herb salad with olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and the roasted cherry tomatoes. 
Rich, decadent, and so delicious!







No comments:

Post a Comment