Tuesday, September 30, 2014

French Onion Beef Stroganoff

This was so so so good!! It took longer than I expected cause they always say it should only take 20 minutes to caramelize onions but for me it takes like 45-60 minutes!! First I sliced up 3 medium/large onions. It looks like a lot but will cook down a bunch. I put them in my large Dutch oven with 1/4 a cup of butter ( I didn't say this was healthy ;) then I added 1 garlic clove minced, 1 bay leaf, 1 sprig of thyme, and a pinch of salt and pepper. I cooked this on medium heat for 45 minutes or until they begin to caramelize.
Then I added one package of mushrooms which I sliced thin.
Mixed that around and let the mushrooms begin to soften and brown and the onions fully caramelize. Take out the bay leaf and thyme stem then remove the onions and mushrooms to a large bowl.
Next I took a 1.5 lb round steak and cut it into cubes, salt, pepper and floured them. (Do this while the onions are cooking) (next time I might use a more tender steak since it doesn't braise very long) Then I added half a tbls of evoo to the dutch oven and browned half the beef at a time.
Then the next half, add more oil if needed.
It looks dark on the bottom but that's where all the flavor is at! It gives it a rich broth when you scrape up the dark bits. Pour in 1/4 a cup of red wine to deglaze the pan.
Scrape back and forth while it bubbles.
Then I added 1 1/2 cup of beef stock or broth. Still scraping up the bottom and brought it to a simmer.
Add in 1/2 a tbls of worchesterchire sauce.
Then add back in the meat and onion mixture. Cover with lid and simmer on medium for as long as it takes to boil the noodles. About 8 minutes.
Take it off the heat and add 2/3 a cup of sour cream stiring really well to get it to mix.
Then add the 3 cups of cooked and drained egg noodles, or 1 package.
Mix that together and put in the presenting dish or just keep it in the Dutch oven.
Sprinkle with 1 1/2 cups of grated gruyere cheese (the best cheese ever!!) 
Then broil it in the oven till melted and browned. I sprinkled a little paprika for color and tossed a few pinches of chopped fresh parsley. Sooooo yummy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment