Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Caramel Upside Down Banana Bread

Oh man this was a good one! It's a little more cakey than I normally like my banana bread so next time I'll use a different banana bread recipe but this turned out great!!Preheat the oven to 350° First I put 1/3 a cup of brown sugar in the bottom of a 9x5 loaf pan.
I cut up 3 tablespoons of butter and spread them evenly over the brown sugar and put it in the oven for 10 minutes until it melted.
In a large bowl I put in 1 1/2 cups of whole wheat flour, 3/4 a cup of sugar, 1 tsp of baking soda.
1 tsp of baking powder.
1/2 a tsp of salt.
1/8th a tsp of ground cinnamon. Then mixed that together.
I took the brown sugar pan out and stirred it around with a fork.
Then I took 2 not very ripe bananas and sliced them into 1/2 inch slices and lined them up on top of the brown sugar/butter mixture.
In a smaller bowl I mashed up 2 very ripe bananas, next time I would probably put a 3rd to give the cake a more bread texture. And cracked in 2 eggs.
Whisked that with a fork and added 1/3 a cup of buttermilk.
1/3 a cup of coconut oil but you can use vegetable oil.
Then 1tsp of vanilla and mixed all of that together.
Poured into the dry mixture and stirred with a fork till completely mixed but don't over mix.
Then I poured it over the banana slices. Make sure it's a non stick loaf pan or spray first.
I put it in the oven for 30 minutes but check at 20 with a toothpick.
When it was done I waited 20 minutes for it to cool then flipped it over. The recipe I found had a glaze to pour over the top but I felt like it was rich enough. The glaze would be brown sugar, butter, and heavy cream cooked down till it made a caramel then pour over when ready to serve! It was delicious! You can also use any of your favorite banana bread recipes and pour it over the brown sugar/ sliced banana mixture to make it upside down banana bread!
Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment