Thursday, April 24, 2014

Mahli's Healthy Southwestern Corn Chowder

Hey guys sorry I haven't posted in a while. I've been trying to focus all my time on Zara and just haven't had a chance to post my recipes. I have a bunch though so I will try putting them all in this week!

This recipe goes out to a special little girl named Mahli who wants to eat healthy and loves to cook with her mommy!! 

First start with 1 carrot cut in half lengthwise and sliced into thin half moons. I didn't even peel it, just scrubbed in water. Then take a baking potatoe, peel then dice it into bite size pieces. And take half a small onion and dice it small.
In a medium sauce pan or small Dutch oven like I used that has a lid, put in a tablespoon of butter and throw in the onions at medium heat.
After a minute throw in the carrot, 1/2 a tsp of chili powder, and 1/2 a tsp of oregano. Then add a pinch of salt and some pepper.
Once that softens after like 2-3 minutes put in the potatoe and 1 10 ounce bag of frozen corn.
Thenpour in one can of low sodium chicken broth or 2 cups of any chicken broth.
Add 1 cup of milk (1%,2%, whole, or cream which is what I used, if you use cream you only need 1/2 a cup)
Stir then bring to a boil, put down to a simmer and cover. Let it cook for 15-20 minutes until the potatoes are cooked through.
Then taste to see if you need any extra salt. Put in a bowl and top with your favorite toppings. I put in diced avocado, cilantro, and crumbled queso fresco. My husband likes sour cream and shredded sharp cheddar! This was delicious and a meatless meal but you could easily add some shredded chicken from a rotisserie chicken in the last 5 minutes to warm through. 
Hope you enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment