Sunday, April 13, 2014

Chicken and Dumplings with Sautéed Oyster Mushrooms and Sweet Carrots

This is a super easy and super delicious meal that tastes slow cooked but comes together in 30 minutes or less!

To make the dumplings I first put in a bowl 2 cups of flour. Then added 1 tablespoon of baking powder. And 1 1/4 tsp of salt.Then poured in 1 cup of milk plus 2 tbls into the flour.
I mixed it with a wooden spoon till it came together in a ball.
There is no kneading in this recipe! Which is what makes it so easy. Next I dumped the ball onto a floured surface and sprinkled the top with flour so it wouldn't stick to the rolling pin.
Then I rolled it out to a rectangle about half an inch.
Then using a pizza cutter I did a grid to cut them into half inch squares.
In a large Dutch oven I had 6 cups of chicken stock brought to a boil. Then added the dumplings. The extra flour will thicken it up and flavor it. I brought it back to simmer and let them float for 20-30 minutes dunking them with a spoon every few minutes.
While that cooked I shredded an entire rotisserie chicken and after the dumplings were cooked I dropped the meat in and let heat through.
And that's it! It's done! It taste like homemade and slow cooked but takes 20-30 minutes. For sides I sautéed some yellow oyster mushrooms in a tbls of butter.
Then peeled and sliced some carrots and put them in a pan with some water and cooked with a close lid for about 10 minutes till softened the added some butter, honey, and brown sugar.
Then plated them all together! Yum!!

No comments:

Post a Comment