Monday, June 16, 2014

Vietnamese Caramel Pork. This whole plate is less than 400 calories and was so so yummy!

Yum! This was so good especially for being low calorie! I'm cooking healthy this week so keep your fingers crossed it's all yummy :) Before I decided I was doing healthy I had found a recipe for caramel pork belly. So when I went healthy this came out perfect!First I weighed out 1 lbs of pork tenderloin and cut it into 1/2 inch cubes.
I prepped and chopped up 3 large peeled carrots, half a large onion, sliced 5 cloves of garlic and grated half an inch of ginger.
In a large wok I heated it to high and put in 1 tablespoon of dark sesame oil.
Once that got hot I put in the pork cubes and seared them till they were browned on each side, it takes a little patience.
After it is browned I put it on a plate to the side.
For the sauce I put 1 cup of chicken broth in a bowl.
Then I added 3 tablespoons of dark brown sugar.
1 tablespoon of fish sauce.
1 tablespoon of soy sauce.
2 tsp of cornstarch.
2 tsp of rice vinegar. And a pinch of red pepper flakes.
When the meat is on the plate I added the onions, carrots, and ginger into the hot pan with the oil residue leftover. Sautéed that for 3 minutes then added the sliced garlic and sautéed that for a couple more minutes.
Once the veggies were softened I poured in the sauce bringing it to a boil.
Once it boils for a few minutes and thickens up I added the pork back into the wok. Mixed and heated through.
I cooked white rice and put half a cup of white rice on a plate, topped with 3/4 a cup of the pork mixture, then put 1/3 a cup of shredded napa cabbage, and sprinkled with 1 tbls of peanuts and 1 tsp of chopped parsley. Cilantro would be better but my family hates it. Also serve with some lime slices.

No comments:

Post a Comment