Monday, June 16, 2014

Cauliflower Crust Pizza. Low Carb Deliciousness!

This is an amazing thing! I'm trying to eat healthy for the next 2 weeks before we go on our vacation so I'm doing low calorie and low carb meals. Boring I know but I'm doing my best to make sure they taste delicious!

I have heard and seen this before but haven't had a chance to make it till now. Let me tell you, it works! Of course it has the cooked veggie taste but it gives you that mouth feel and the taste with the toppings of real pizza! I had my mom try it and she HATES cooked cauliflower and most healthy low carb stuff and she actually enjoyed this! You must try it!
First I took a medium sized head of cauliflower and cut out the core and pulled apart the florets, chopped them a little bit to help the food processor out!
Put them in the food processor and pulsed till it was in a fine "rice" type texture.
Looks like this. Then put it in a large skillet on medium high.
Add half a cup of water.
And 1/2 a tsp of kosher salt.
Cook it for 5-10 minutes till the water evaporates stirring every couple minutes. Pour it onto a clean dish towel and let cool. I didn't let it cool long enough so while I was squeezing the water out I was singeing my hand horribly so please let it cool. This recipe is not really quick. You need at least 2 hours before you want to eat it.
Once it has cooled twist the towel and squeeze out as much water as possible! Put in a large bowl.
Add a couple tablespoons of garlic herb or whatever flavor you like of goat cheese. I put in probably 3 tablespoons, the last of my tub.
Then I added a large egg, 1/4 a cup of grated Parmesan or more per taste, and a sprinkle of cayenne pepper for flavor.
I added a pinch more of salt and some fresh cracked pepper. Then mixed till combined, another reason it should be cooled so it doesn't cook the egg.
On a baking sheet line it with parchment paper and put the ball in the center. Preheat oven to 400° 
You can use your fingers but I took a sheet of plastic wrap on the top to pat it down into 1/4 an inch and rounded it like a pizza pie.
Nice!
Then I baked it for 40 minutes till it comes out browned and formed together.
I flipped it onto a fresh piece of parchment paper to put back in the oven.
I put like 3 tablespoons of jarred pizza sauce and sprinkled a pinch of dried basil and a pinch of dried oregano over the top. You could use red pepper flake if you want as well.
Then a small sprinkling of mozzarella cheese, remember less is more on a pizza, don't over crowd the toppings. Put whatever your favorite toppings on, I used pepperonis.
Then I put back in the oven for 5 minutes broiling it the last 2 minutes till it bubbled up.
Cut with a pizza cutter and dive in! It pulls out just like a real pizza slice! You will love this :)

No comments:

Post a Comment