Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Homemade Pasta with Garlic Herb Shrimp and Asparagus-Spinach Pesto

For the homemade pasta I first took 4 large eggs and whisked them in the bottom of my stand mixer bowl.Over that I put a sifter bowl and sifted in 3 1/2 cups of flour and 1/2 a tsp of salt.
Then I added 2 tbls of cold water.
Turned on the machine with the flat batter blade and mixed for a minute. Then switched to the dough hook and kneeded it at a speed of 2 for 2 minutes and poured it into a floured surface and hand kneeded for 2 minutes then let rest for 30 minutes.

For the pesto I started in a food processor with 3 cups if spinach and added half a cup of grated Parmesan.
I grated 4 garlic cloves.
1/4 a cup of toasted pine nuts
1/2 a tsp of salt
Half a lemon squeezed.
In a pot of boiling water I cooked a bunch of asparagus with the ends chopped off and the rest cut in half. Boiled for a few minutes then dumped in an ice bath to stop cooking. Then I drained and added then to the food processor.
I pulsed it a bunch to get it mixing together then drizzled half a cup of evoo slowly while pulsing. 
So bright and fresh looking!
After the dough is rested I took it and cut it into 4 pieces. Take one piece and flatten into a rectangular shape. Adding flour to both sides. Be sure to cover the other pieces. Attach the pasta sheet roller to your stand mixer and set it to #1. Turn on the stand mixer to speed 2 and run the pasta dough through the pasta sheet roller. While on #1, fold the dough in half and run it through again. Do this a couple times.

Adding a little bit of flour on each side of the dough again, change setting to #2 and pass the pasta dough through the sheet roller. I did this twice and then twice each on #3 and then #4. If you want thicker dough, don't do the #4 setting.

Once again, add flour to each side of your long pasta sheet. Then I changed the attachment to a fettuccine cutter and turn on to speed 2. I ran the pasta sheet through with my left hand, held on to the pasta as it comes through the cutter with my right hand. Allow pasta to dry for a few minutes before boiling.
I love this drying rack, before I got it I would put it on a sheet and they would usually stick together.
Then put in a pot of boiling water for 3-5 minutes. Fresh pasta doesn't take long.
It will float when it's done.
Take it out and put in a large bowl. I used only half the dough for this recipe and it would feed 4.
Then with a little starchy water still dripping from the noodles I added a couple big spoonfuls of the pesto, like a cup maybe.
I have no idea where my other pictures I took of this went to but after this I sautéed half a pound of peeled and deveined shrimp and added that to the pasta and another 1/4 cup of toasted pine nuts. Then plated and topped with some shredded Parmesan.

No comments:

Post a Comment