Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Mexican Quinoa and Grilled Chicken Bowl

This is an easy quick dish that is amazing! I even got a non quinoa lover to say it's delicious!

First dice half an onion and put it in a sauce pan with a lid on medium high heat with a tbls of olive oil.When the onions have softened after a few minutes throw in a large garlic clove minced
1 tsp of chipotle chili powder.
I ran out if cumin so normally this would be a tsp of toasted cumin but I used a tsp of taco seasoning instead. Made it even better! Stir to toast the spices.
Then put in a cup of rinsed quinoa.
Mix to toast the quinoa for a min then pour in a cup and 1/2 of chicken broth.
Half a cup of chopped tomatoes or tomato purée. I used half a cup of chopped tomatoes with chili seasonings cause it's what I had in my pantry.
Next put in 1/2 a tsp of oregano
Then a pinch of salt
Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 15 minutes. Mean while grill a chicken breast marinated in olive oil, minced garlic, minced onion, half a lime juice, cumin, oregano, chipotle powder, paprika, salt, and pepper. I just threw some of each seasoning in a small Baggie with the breast and marinated for 30 minutes. You can marinate as long as you want. Once grilled I sliced it diagonally.
Once the quinoa is cooked let it sit off the heat for 5 minutes then layer it into the bowl on bottom, top with some heated up seasoned black beans rinsed from a can, half a cubed avocado with lime juice, the chicken breast, then sprinkle with crumbled cotija cheese, cilantro, and a squeeze of lime. Delicious!!

1 comment: